Robert Conaway, says last Tuesday's election might have been rigged and has requested a manual count. Conaway, a Barstow attorney lost his recent bid for San Bernardino County District Attorney.
Conaway sent a letter to the county Board of Supervisors, which demands that the supervisors direct District Attorney Michael A. Ramos, the winner in last Tuesday's race, to call for a manual recount of every ballot cast in San Bernardino County.
A rally in front of the registrars headquarters is planned prior to the Supervisors meeting. Conaway then plans to address the supervisors to publicly ask for a manual count. An invitation has been sent via the internet to those who were involved in the election and those who believe there may be a breach in the election process.
Conaway said he doesn't trust election results from the county's automatic ballot-counting system and the county's online election reporting system.
"There are severe security problems," he said, indicating someone - whether inside or outside of the county government - could have changed computer programs in such a way as to tilt the election.
"The software, some human agency seeking to disrupt the natural and proper count and report process or some human or inadvertent technological error 'picked' the winner," Conaway said.
Conaway says it is suspicious, for instance, that Ramos had between 54 percent and 55 percent of the votes when the first results were reported and maintained roughly the same percentage throughout the night.
County Registrar of Voters Kari Verjil told a local newspaper that the county's systems are certified by the California Secretary of State. Vergil went on to say,
"it would be "extremely costly" to do a manual ballot recount
May 21, 2010
Has the Mojave Cross have been removed for good?
A cross replacing the original at the Mojave Desert war memorial has been declared illegal and taken down.
The U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that the 9th Circuit overstepped its bounds when it ruled the cross must be removed. Since then, the memorial had remained covered with a plywood box until it was stolen on May 9.
Linda Slater, public information officer with the Mojave National Preserve, said the cross that mysteriously appeared last week was unauthorized.
"The main reason that we can't put a replacement cross up or allow one to be put up," she said, "is because we are under court order to not display a cross on Sunrise Rock."
Kelly Shackelford, president and CEO of Liberty Institute, said his team will work to convince the Justice Department to replace the cross.
"That's not a proper act to take," he said. "Our veterans deserve more than that, and that memorial needs to be put back up."
An anonymous donation means there is a $125,000 reward posted for tips leading to the conviction of whoever stole the cross that served as a memorial to Americans who served during World War I.
A decorated military veteran offered $100,000 for the reward, said Kelly Shackelford, chief counsel for Liberty Institute. That figure was added to the previous $25,000 offer.
The cross stood at Sunrise Rock, which is about 15 miles south of the 15 Freeway along Cima Road in the Mojave National Preserve.